Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Corvina


Wolf and I are both hitting that point where we want to introduce something new to our usual menu. Yesterday at the store we walked by the fish and saw some Corvina. I've never heard of this fish before so we thought we'd give it a shot. After looking it up when we got home I found it's similar to sea bass, in fact many sites made out like they were the same thing. Either way it is a thick, white, meaty fish. After searching recipes I found 2 that sounded good so I blended them. I'll try to replicate what I did for you:

Preheat oven to 375deg. For the seasoning mix equal amounts of cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and chili powder, plus 1/4 cayenne pepper (optional). Sprinkle each piece of fish with salt and pepper the cover one side in the seasoning mixture. Heat oil (coconut) in an oven safe saute pan until hot. Place the fish seasoning side down in the oil. Don't crowd the pan. Do not touch for 2 minutes! Don't check it. Don't move the oil around. Don't do anything! After 2 minutes, put the pan in the oven for 8 minutes. While it cooks in the oven cook the sauce:
Melt 3T butter in a med skillet. After butter has melted add 1 large chopped shallot and zest of 1 lemon. Once the shallots are soft add 1/4c of white wine (I used pinot grigio and didn't measure) and the juice of 1 lemon. Cook until thick, then add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream and mix. Make sure the sauce does not boil. Stir then after heated through set aside (I moved mine to a bowl to cook the asparagus in the same pan).
Remove the fish from the oven and using spatula turn onto a plate (I placed mine on some butter/garlic rice).

The asparagus I just cooked it in a little coconut oil in the same pan as the sauce until it was soft and lightly charred.

Pour sauce over everything and enjoy!

Ingredient list:
Corvina or other thick fish
1 lemon
cinnamon
cumin
turmeric
shallot
salt/pepper
white wine
heavy cream
shallot
asparagus (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment