Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

Prepping for winter part 2

The last couple of days have been beautiful here. Let's see how much I got done on the winter vacation to do list...

1) Another bucket feeder for our chickens. We don't ferment the food in the winter and this will hold a couple of days worth of food.
2) Another automatic coop door for the secondary coop (currently housing our friend's chickens while she is in temporary housing)
I have the door done and it works inside the house but every time I install it outside it doesn't work. To top things off, I think our motor burnt out tonight. The door didn't trigger the lower limit switch for some reason and bounced back up and sat trying to turn when it was at the top of the frame for an hour (we weren't home). I'm going to test it tomorrow and might need to switch out the motor. Hopefully it's just the motor, I have 2 extra of those. I'm worried it's the power board though. That will cost me another $10. :/
3) Figure out how to keep the hose from freezing for the horses water. Currently I fill their tank completely full before a freeze and during the freeze they have enough water (thanks to a tank heater) to last until it's warm enough to defrost the hose again. Problem is you have to dig the hose out from under any snow so it can get sunlight. No big deal if you are living here but when someone is only coming once every 2 days they need water right then. A heated hose is an option but expensive ($80 for 20'). After looking online for suggestions, I've decided to run our hose up over a post that is between the tank and the pump and get a quick disconnect for the hose. This way it will be easy to disconnect the hose from the pump and the water will all drain out on it's own.
4) Setup a heated bowl for the goats. Luckily they don't drink much so the 1 1/2 gallon bowl that's on it's way should be enough.
5) Get a small hay bale for the goats. That should last them all week so they'll only need watered.
I won't have to get the hay bale for the goats until just before we leave. 

Overall I got quite a bit done recently. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment