Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

Chalk paint part 2

I went out and picked up my chalk paint today. I decided on dark grey (can't remember the exact name). The lady at the store was more than happy to give me a tutorial even though I told her I had watched numerous videos. It was still nice to get some tips and reminders from someone that has done a ton of it. I bought a large can of white, a small can of the grey, clear wax, dark wax, and a brush. It was PRICEY! Hope I get a lot of use out of it. 


Before


I heard that the first coat looks like crap and they weren't kidding
First coat on top

First coat all over

But after the second coat it looks so nice!
After the wax I distressed just a little around the edges
A little distressing

Distressing on the corner

And the finished product! I'm really happy with how it turned out!

The finished product

My thoughts: 
1) the brush they sell you kills your hand! I normally can paint for quite awhile but I hadn't even finished the right side of the front and my hand was cramping. Not only that... it STINKS! It is obviously made of horse tail hair but it smells like it wasn't washed at all. It smelled like a dirty horse even after washing with soap 3 times!
2) the paint doesn't seem to go as far as I expected. 
3) I used a cotton rag for putting the wax on (I didn't feel like spending $38-75 on a wax brush!) and it worked just fine
4) A light hand when distressing goes a long way

Overall I love that the piece doesn't take any prep other than a cleaning, the paint doesn't smell (but the wax does), and it dries QUICK. 
Wolf isn't sold on me doing the rest of the furniture yet. I'll have to work on him a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment