Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Chalk paint pt1

Last weekend I went to my cousin's baby shower and got to see some family I haven't seen in a LONG time. It was wonderful to catch up and it really made me miss our annual Thanksgivings that ended almost 20 years ago! While there I spoke with a cousin about her chalk painting. I had seen pics of people doing this and was always fascinated with the transformations but figured it was an involved process and I didn't have the time or the need for it previously. But after moving into this new house we want a very different feel from our furniture. We had all dark wood pieces in the last house and now I want an old farm house feel. So this seems like the perfect way to transform the feel of the house without expending a bunch of money on new furniture. Wolf isn't crazy about the idea so I'm going to start with a piece he doesn't see and that I think is in desperate need of a makeover.... my grandma's sewing table.  


Sorry for the horrible picture. I was too lazy to shut the blinds to block the sun. Plus it's so messy; I am in the middle of sewing a t-shirt quilt and still have the scraps from the silkies I made for my cousin.
This piece currently lives in the guest room closet so if I don't like the result, no real harm done. Although I have been toying with the idea of moving the guest room to the basement and making this room my craft room. So one day it may be out in the open.

Now to decide on a color. When I look at pictures I find myself drawn to the white pieces the most. But this shares a room with some white dressers that I want to leave white. So even though it's in the closet, I want it to be a different color. So I'm thinking a dark grey like this one (via pinterest)


or a little lighter like this (also via pinterest)

Here are the colors to choose from

What do you think?

If this goes well I have plans for our coffee table, dining room table that's currently in the basement because it doesn't work at all with the upstairs decor, our bedroom dressers, nightstands, and headboard, and the guest room dresser and nightstand!

It will be awhile before I do this because I have to get the supplies, but I'll post progress as I can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment