Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Getting ready for spring

My winter checklist helped me stay on task and not forget an important project. And who doesn't like crossing off things on a list? Makes me feel productive to watch my list shrink.
So here is my getting ready for spring list:

1) Prune fruit trees - boy do I not look forward to this. Not only do I not know what I'm doing, I have a hard time cutting away something that has buds on it! But I've learned that it is healthier for the tree and produces a better harvest, so I'm going to be harsh and prune away this year!
Done! I prepped myself by watching a lot of videos. I had already read quite a few books and articles but felt like I really needed to see it in person with a real tree. It helped a lot. I had a hard time following what is suggested since my trees are already about 2-3 years old (they were ~4ft tall when I bought them) and they did not grow in ways that lent themselves to good pruning. But I'm proud of myself and think they'll do fairly well this year. Next time I by trees (maybe this year?) I'll know what to look for to start with!

2) Paint and place bee hive outside
Beehive is painted. Now we just need to find a table for it outside.

3) Deep clean of chicken coops. This needs to be done just before the garden prep because I want to incorporate all the old litter into the garden.

4) Till and level garden area. I know there are some no-till people out there, but where I want to garden is currently grass, so it's definitely getting tilled! I don't think I will till after that though since I"ll be planting in beds I'd like to keep in place instead of rows and areas I can start fresh from each year.

5) Divide breeding coop
This is half done. We got the outside run split. Just waiting on my friend's chickens to go and we'll separate the inside. 

6) Build broiler pen

7) Buy remaining plants needed (blueberry, raspberry, grape, onions, shallots, asparagus, potatoes, strawberries, corn, sweet potatoes, and sage)

8) Get brooders setup
This is mostly done. Just need to drill a hole for 1 waterer and find the last brooder which I think is hiding in Little Owl's room. 

9) Get calf stall and milking area ready
 Thanks to Wolf's great idea and help, we got the cow area separated in a way that she can now get out onto the back pasture with the horses, keep the goats in their area, and keep the horses out of the cow area. Hopefully next weekend we'll get the calf area built.


I'm sure there's more, I'll add to this as I think of them. Spring is a lot busier prep time than winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment