Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Fermenting Feed

I think I'm going to try fermenting some food for the chickens. I tried growing fodder for them in the summer but it kept going moldy on me. I couldn't get the moisture level right, they would either dry out or grow mold. I've been reading a lot about fermenting feed and it seems simple enough. We just got a huge stack of buckets from the grocery store (great place to get food grade buckets for free - just ask the bakery department). I've read that if you have any fish meal in your food then the fermented stuff gets really stinky. I of course do not want that so I jumped online and looked at the ingredient list of the pellets I buy (https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/10220/) and luckily no fish. I would also like to use more of the bucket of wheat berries I have sitting in the front room. Someone on BYC (backyardchicken) just got these tops (http://www.amazon.com/Sprout-Ease-Econo-Sprouter-Toppers-Set-Piece/dp/B005P0SM8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388414891&sr=8-1&keywords=sprout+lids) for their mason jars to make sprouting easier. I might make something similar out by poking holes in reglar lids and give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment