Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Fermenting food part 2

UPDATED: pics and update added

I scooped some it for the chickens to try. I took 2 small buckets, drilled a bunch of holes in one of them, put that one inside the other and put some food it in. I filled it with water until it was a couple inches above the food. Then let it sit overnight. When I checked on it the next day the food had soaked up all the water. I added more, stirred it, and then scooped out a couple of cups full and gave it to the chickens. They loved it! I added some more food to the bucket to replace what I took out and noticed some bubbles. That means it's working. I'm curious to see if this will extend the food or not. Time will tell.
I took pics but haven't gotten them off my phone yet. I'll post them soon.
Thanks to the blogger app I don't have to go through the hassle of uploading my pics somewhere then downloading the uploading to  here.
UPDATE: They loved it! Now I try to remember to bring them a couple scoops each day. I just add more food to the water as I take some out. Totally maintenance free. I cover my bucket loosely with a lid just to keep the smell down and to keep things from falling in.

Adding my pellets


Cover them with at least 3 inches of water


What they looked like the next day. I obviously didn't add enough water.

Scooped some out for the chickens to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment