Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

New career?

I have been feeling that itch to change careers lately. I am just not the type to stay at a job this long. This is the longest I've had a job before and it is getting to me. I need challenges and new problems to solve! Well tonight I may have found my perfect career. Actually it's not a new idea to me. I've thought about it many times before, it's just not practical.
I think I should to get into some kind of counseling. But not the psycho babble stuff. I want to be straight with people. Something like Dr Phil. I think I have a good insight into relationships and human nature. I should get paid to help people out!
I was just sitting at the hotel bar (I'm traveling for work at the moment) and a heavier guy sits down and strikes up a conversation with everyone at the bar. At one point he makes a jibe about being attractive and his weight and I respond something about wearing a wedding ring and someone finds him attractive. That opened the flood gates. He started sharing his marital problems with me and we ended up talking for a couple hours. I listened and gave advice and he left the conversation saying, "I never thought of that, that's really good advice, I'm going to have to think about that." He asked the bartender what she thought at the end of it all since she was a part of most of the conversation and she said, "I think she gave you some really good advice".
I enjoy helping people but only when I can be straight with them because I don't know them.
I don't pretend to have this knowledge because my marriage is perfect. Far from it. But as I told the guy tonight, every marriage has its rocky times, but if one party isn't willing to work through it and put the effort in, then it's doomed. My marriage has lasted strictly because Wolf and I both want it to and are willing to try to make things better. We make active decisions to make it work instead of making the easier choice of being resentful and vindictive and letting it go down hill all the while telling ourselves it's because of what the other person is doing.
I am all about personal responsibility. We can only control what we do. We can't change anyone else. So if you don't like something my question to you is, what are you going to do about it?
I am lucky enough to have excellent role models for a healthy relationship. I have told my parents before, if they ever split up I would lose all faith in marriage! I don't fool myself that their marriage is perfect but I have faith that they are committed to eachother and will work out the major bumps.
Unfortunately not everyone has this example. I should share that!
Sometimes people need a wake up call and a reminder that they are not pawns in their own life.
Now how can I get paid for that like Dr Phil did!?

No comments:

Post a Comment