Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Red beans and rice

I've always thought red beans and rice liked good with its red gravy like coating. In A Fast Nearby she had a recipe for it and she makes it sound so wonderful. So to keep with my trying beans phase I though I'd try it. The day I made the refried beans I put my red beans in a pot to soak so I could do the red beans and rice the next day. Here's a lesson I learned, read the recipe before you do anything! While reading all of the bean recipes recently I kept seeing the instructions to soak the beans overnight, rinse them the next day then continue with recipe. So I did this without checking my recipe. The next day I read the recipe and it doesn't have that step and I could see why, as I rinsed my beans all that pretty red color went down the sink. I figured I'd push on. I followed the rest of the recipe but the beans never seemed to get soft. I cooked them an extra hour and still not soft. I cooked them do long I had to keep adding liquid to the pot and even started to burn the bottom at one point. Then when I mashed some to make the "gravy" they crumbled instead of being a smooth mash. I tried adding liquid but it didn't mix, I just had bean crumbles and liquid. Then add I'm finishing the beans I realized I hadn't put the rice on yet. I ravaged my cupboards to see what instant rice I had (those little 90 sec packets of rice come in handy sometimes). I found a couple with vegetables and one mixed grain that had quinoa in it. I chose that one since it had no added flavoring. It did not go well.
Luckily the sausage and fresh bread I picked were delicious. The rest was pretty much inedible. I didn't even take a pic out was so bad.
I'm not totally discouraged though. Since I know it was my own stupid fault it didn't turn out I'll try again one day. If it still doesn't turn it then I'm giving up on that dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment