Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Lemons

Our huge box of lemons

As I mentioned in my last post we got a large box of lemons. As a reminder Wolf and I juiced about half of them and froze the juice in sandwich baggies and wrote the amount of juice on each bag, everything from 1/2c to 1 1/2c. 

Juice ready to freeze
Then I zested the rest of them and froze the zest in small plastic wrap bundles of one lemon each. 

I also dried some zest and mixed it with salt and another batch with sugar.
Lemon zest drying
 I have used plenty of the little bundles of zest and they are perfect. So handy! I haven't had the chance to use the sugar or salt yet. I also dried a bunch of lemon slices to use in water but they molded. Yuck!
The best thing that came out of that box though was lemoncello! That turned out great. The only problem there is I have too much citric acid so the milk separates. I'm going to try another creamy batch with just zest soaked in the vodka.


Lemons marinating in vodka for lemoncello
Lemoncello and creamy lemoncello

No comments:

Post a Comment