Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Skunk!


Tues morning I get a text from Wolf after he leaves for work that he smelled a skunk. I too smell it's telltale stench when I get up. Outside it's not bad so I open the windows and go about my day. Later that evening as I sit down to the computer I keep smelling something off. I keep thinking it's my arms from stirring the kelp powder into the new batch of chicken feed. Then Wolf gets home and says it must be one of the dogs that smells. I go sniff each one, and he's right, it's Jasmine. Smells like she got a dusting in the wind from the skunk. I didn't do anything hoping it would wear off pretty quick since it wasn't too bad.
Then last night around 11:30 Jasmine is in the front yard barking up a storm and I can even hear her growling. She is not the type to bark at nothing, especially not growl. I knew something was out there. Wolf and I hop out of bed and grab a flashlight. I go out front and my nose tells me as soon as I open the door what is out there. Yep, you guessed it, the skunk. Jasmine was less than a foot away from it barking at it. I called Jasmine off (luckily she listened) and Wolf and I shooed the skunk out of the yard, which isn't as easy to do as you'd think. The whole time it was bouncing back and forth acting strange. It finally ran off and we were left with one stinky dog! Needless to say I wasn't about to give her a bath at midnight! Luckily the weather was nice and since she was still on alert she slept outside all night. The smell still got in the house a bit but it could've been much worse.
This morning I opened up the house, luckily it was a beautiful day and not overly hot. Then after a quick google search for the Mythbusters confirmed concoction for skunk remover, I got to work. Luckily I had everything on hand. Basically you take a quart of peroxide, amazingly I had a large unopened bottle sitting around. Add a cup or so of baking soda and a few drops of dish soap. I also added some water to make it go far enough to cover her. I took a sponge and rubbed it all over her. It said to avoid the face and ears so I did that the best I could while still getting her forehead. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed her off. She didn't seem to mind any of it until the cold water had run on her for a few minutes. After she dried I gave her a brushing that she was in desperate need of and took a sniff. The only spot that has any residual smell is her face. The rest smells faintly of baking soda. I'm impressed! I guess we'll just have to resist giving her kisses for a few days. ;)

The result of some much needed brushing

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer- Congratulations! You guys are doing a great job homesteading already even though you just started. Your place looks great. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fruit from your orchard in a few years and you'll get a great garden going next year. Also, goats milk in the future too? And you make your own kombucha too? I am so far behind. Good luck keeping those predators away, especially those skunks! Your poor stinky pup!

    ReplyDelete